Swansea

Multiple locations

Park Road:
HQ,1 Glamorgan (H) Battery 1st Welsh (H) Brigade RFA
E,F 7 Welsh
HQ,B,C,D 6 Welsh

7 Rutland street
South Wales Mounted Brigade Company ASC
HQ,A,B,C Sect 3rd Welsh Field Ambulance RAMC
'A' Sqn Glamorgan Yeomanry

Neath road:
Volunteer Drill Hall

Singleton street Drill Hall
HQ of Volunteers Glamorganshire (3rd) battalion
Volunteers, Glamorganshire (3rd) (comprising A,B,C,D,E,F,G & H Companies)
D Company (Cyclists)
(Kelly 1895)

Oxford street
2nd Volunteer Battalion, Welsh Regiment
Volunteer Battalion (2nd) Welsh Regiment (C Co.)
(Kelly 1895)

Hafod:
Headquarters Volunteer Battalion (2nd) Welsh Regiment (D and E Co)
(Kelly 1895)

'The Prince of Wales Hall, Singleton street, erected in 1882 at a cost of 4,000, is a building in the Italian style, from designs by Mr. T. P. Martin, architect, and serves as the head quarters of the 3rd Glamorganshire Rifle Volunteers; the ground floor of the hall measures 80 feet by 70 feet and will seat 1,000 guests, and there is a gallery capable of holding 250 persons; the building also includes a suite of retiring rooms, armoury, two large kitchens and scullery, above which is a minor hall 60 feet by 27 feet, with a stage at the north end 45 feet by 20 feet.' (Kelly)

Additional information:
The headquarters and stores of Garrison Artillery, Western Division (Glamorgan Artillery Militia) were at Royal Arsenal, Glamorgan street.

1st Glamorganshire Artillery Volunteers (comprising 7 companies)had their head quarters at Swansea castle. (Swansea companies Nos. 1-4)
Photograph not available
© All material is copyright - refer to the Terms of Use

the first attempt at content

The Drill Hall Project - Charting a neglected legacy