'E' 1 Monmouthshire
'A' Co. of the 2nd Volunteer Battalion South Wales Borderers
F Troop of the Royal Gloucestershire Hussar Yeomanry Cavalry
ds 'C' Sqn Royal Gloucestershire Hussars Gloucestershire (Royal
Gloucestershire Hussars) Yeomanry Cavalry (F Troop)
'A' Co and F Troop HQ - Lower Church street
Listed in Kelly, 1895, at 'Drill hall, Bank buildings.'
Gloucestershire (Royal Gloucestershire Hussars) Yeomanry Cavalry
(F Troop), Drill hall, Market house, Station road.'
This information derives from Kelly, 1895.
The Lower Church Street premises are currently used as an Educational
A plaque outside the building commemorates the men who marched from
there: "The officers
and men of 'E' Company (Chepstow) 1st Battalion Monmouthshire Regiment,
who paraded here on 6th August 1914 before leaving for active service
on the Western Front. Many never returned.'.
The drill hall is very close to premises which were used as a hospital
during the Great War.