Wolverhampton

Stafford Street

A and B companies of the 6th Battalion South Staffs
D Squadron Staffordshire Yeomanry
3rd North Midland Brigade
5th Staffordshire Battery
3rd North Midland Ammunition Column, Royal Field Artillery
6th Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment
3rd North Midland Field Ambulance Royal Army Medical Corps

The Headquarters, A and B companies of the 6th Battalion South Staffs were based in a fine drill hall in Stafford Street, Wolverhampton. Described in Kelly 1912 as:
'the head quarters of the Infantry Regiment, in Stafford street, erected at a cost of about 8,000, form a considerable pile in an Early Gothic style, from designs by Mr. Daniel Arkell, architect, of Birmingham, and have a central tower; the Stafford street block contains on the ground floor an orderly room, adjutant's room, armouries, stores for clothing, waiting rooms and lavatories; on the first floor are two large assembly rooms, with ante-rooms, sergeants' mess &c. and on the second floor are kitchens, stores and caretakers' rooms. The drill hall is 184 feet long and 76 feet wide, and has a stage at one end and a gallery at the other, and is provided with cloakrooms and lavatories; in the basement are stores for baggage &c. and a heating apparatus.'

Now used by Wolverhampton University, the offices are all that remain, the drill hall now demolished. Two crowned terracotta shields proclaim 'SS Regt' and a Staffordshire knot.

Kelly 1912 states:
'The Territorial Force stationed in Wolverhampton comprises the D Squadron Staffordshire Yeomanry, the 3rd North Midland Brigade and 5th Staffordshire Battery and 3rd North Midland Ammunition Column, Royal Field Artillery, and the 6th Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment and 3rd North Midland Field Ambulance Royal Army Medical Corps.'

Riding School - Newhampton Road East
The HQ, 4th (Staffordshire) Battery and ammunition column of the 3rd North Midland Brigade RFA and 'D' Squadron Staffordshire Yeomanry shared an imposing riding school in Newhampton Road East, Wolverhampton. It opened at Park Road East as the new headquarters of 4th Squadron Staffordshire Yeomanry and 4 (Battery, Royal Field Artillery on July 1, 1911. The building has suffered partial demolition and redevelopment as flats.

There is further reference to premises in Cleveland road for the Ammunition column.

Riding School - Front Elevation



Riding School - Rear



Riding School during demolition


Stafford Street Drill Hall



Stafford Street Drill Hall



Stafford Street Drill Hall




Stafford Street Drill Hall - Crest and Ceramic
Stafford Street Drill Hall - Crest and Ceramic


Stafford Street Drill Hall - Crest
Stafford Street Drill Hall - Crest


Stafford Street Drill Hall - Crest & Window
Stafford Street Drill Hall - Crest & Window


Stafford Street Drill Hall - Turret above entrance
Stafford Street Drill Hall - Turret above entrance


Stafford Street Drill Hall - Turret above entrance
Stafford Street Drill Hall - Turret above entrance


Stafford Street Drill Hall - Oriel Window
Stafford Street Drill Hall - Oriel Window


Stafford Street Drill Hall - Window Detail
Stafford Street Drill Hall - Window Detail
© All material is copyright - refer to the Terms of Use

the first attempt at content

The Drill Hall Project - Charting a neglected legacy