1st North Midland Field Company, Royal
Smethwick was the location of the 1st North Midland Field Company,
Royal Engineers, now the Harry Mitchell Leisure Centre. A photograph
in Smethwick Library Archives suggests a dramatic remodelling. It
appears that the sergeant Instructor's house stood separately in
the grounds, its gable adorned with a Staffordshire knot.
The Smethwick Drill Hall was built and donated by Arthur Mitchell
to the Smethwick Corporation and the Staffordshire Volunteer Reserves
in 1898, in memory of his son Henry Mitchell.
On the Smethwick/Handsworth border in Nineveh Road was the drill
hall for the HQ and Staffordshire Brigade companies of the North
Midland Divisional troops of the Army Service Corps. Please see
Detail on side gable