'Opened in 1902, the drill hall was due to be opened by King George
VI in August of that year, but due to the King's illness the opening
was delayed until 16th October. The foundation stone records that
it was laid by Colonel W W Dobson V.D. on 16th October 1902, a commemoration
of the coronation King Edward VII. It has two storeys plus a hall,
cellar and armoury. There are single storey extensions to both sides
and the rear. It has two towers with crenellated parapets, one either
side of the entrance. There is a decorative keystone inscribed '1902'
and a spandrel panel inscribed 'Ich Dien'. Newcastle Street was formerly
known as Castle Street.
Kelly 1904 lists C 1VB the Armoury, Shambles, Burslem Archive photograph View from side View from front Postcard of Burslem drill Hall in 1912 - enlarge