D Squadron, Essex Yeomanry
H Company 6th Battalion Essex Regiment
Head quarters, C Section 3rd East Anglian Field Ambulance Royal Army Medical Corps
Essex & Suffolk Royal Garrison Artillery, No 3 Company,
‘In East street is the Drill Hall for the D Squadron, Essex Yeomanry, and the H Company 6th Battalion Essex Regiment and the head quarters of C Section of the 3rd East Anglian Field Ambulance Royal Army Medical Corps Territorial Force.’ (Kelly, 1914)
‘Essex & Suffolk Royal Garrison Artillery, No 3 Company, Drill hall, York road.’
‘Essex Yeomanry (D Squadron); head quarters, Drill hall, East street, Prittlewell.’ (Kelly, 1914) Kelly, 1902, refers to 21 Honiton road
There is also reference in Kelly to Southchurch road.
The Prittlewell Area Conservation Appraisal, March 2007, on the southend.gov.uk website has recorded the drill hall at 110 East street (with frontage to Tickfield Avenue) and rated it ‘positive’, meaning that it contributes to the character of the area. It states, ‘Two storey with single storey rear additions, slate roofs. Main building - red brick, gable to front with projecting eaves, plaster (?) motif on gable, red brick quoins, altered windows & door to front unsympathetic, elsewhere windows timber sliding sash ...’
A newspaper report dated August 2007 refers to plans to demolish the former drill hall on East Street, Prittlewell and replace with flats. The plans were apparently rejected but have gone to appeal.  However, we have only been able to trace planning applications which sought to demolish the drill hall, but were later withdrawn. The premises and site are currently advertised for sale [September 2008].
The Drill Hall on York road has been demolished. It was a substantial building as its site is now the hole of the covered market just off the high street. According to local newspapers it was a large recruiting centre during the Great War.
We understand from newspaper reports (2003) and a Planning Application lodged with Southend-on-Sea Borough Council that the Hindu community’s place of worship between Warrior Square East, Southchurch Road and Queensway were formerly a drill hall. At present we have not confirmed that this building is contemporary with the scope of the project. The building was apparently a wholesale warehouse in the 1990s.
We have also been informed about a second drill hall on East street, on the opposite side of the road from the original drill hall after East street crosses the railway line. It appears not to fall within the scope of the project, as it is not marked on the spot in the 1923 OS map, but is there by 1938. We would be grateful for information about this drill hall, which is in use by the TA.
We are very grateful to Andrew Pay for the photographs of the drill halls in Prittlewell and Southend-on-Sea and for additional information.