Romford

Drill Hall, Laurie square
Drill Hall, Hornchurch road
17 Victoria road

1st Essex Volunteer Artillery, Eastern Division Royal Artillery (No. 8 Battery)
2nd Essex Battery, 2nd East Anglian Brigade, Royal Field Artillery

Territorial Battalion Essex Regiment (A Co.)

Kelly, 1894, records the Drill Hall on Laurie square in use by 1st Essex Volunteer Artillery, Eastern Division Royal Artillery (No. 8 Battery). This recurs in Kelly, 1902. In 1894, the 1st Volunteer Battalion Essex Regiment (A & B Cos.); Drill hall,[was at] Laurie square. Armoury North street.

By 1914, Kelly notes 2nd Essex Battery, 2nd East Anglian Brigade, Royal Field Artillery, Drill hall, Hornchurch road. Headquarters are at 17, Victoria road. There is also mention of South street. Another reference is to 4th Territorial Battalion Essex Regiment (A Co.); armoury & drill hall, 33 Market place.

A drill hall of corrugated iron was erected in 1885 in Laurie square, by Major Henry Holmes, at a cost of 300 and presented by him to the battery. (Kelly, 1894)
Photograph not available
© All material is copyright - refer to the Terms of Use

the first attempt at content

The Drill Hall Project - Charting a neglected legacy